These crispy vegan hash brown potatoes are so delicious, that once you’ve tasted them you will never be able to tolerate any other kind.
Hash Brown Ingredients:
1 Large Size White Potato
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Shredded Daiya Cheese (choose your own flavor)
– 1 Bottle Ketchup, Mustard and/or Hot Sauce
You Will Also Need:
– 1 Stainless Steel Grater
– 1 Flat Working Surface
– 1 Kitchen Terry Cloth Kitchen Towel
– 1 Roll Paper Towels
– 1 Medium Size Skillet with Lid
– 1 Metal Spatula
1. Pour the canola oil into a medium size skillet and set over medium-high heat.
2. Spread a terry cloth kitchen towel on a flat working surface and two layers of paper towels on top of it.
3. Peel the potato and shred it in a coarse grater.
4. Evenly spread out the shredded potato on top of the paper towels and cover them with another double layer of paper towels.
5. Grab an edge of the terry cloth kitchen towel and roll it up tightly along with all its contents.
6. Take the roll between both of your hands and squeeze as hard as you can.
7. Unroll the towel and its contents and sprinkle evenly with sea salt.
8. Immediately transfer the salted shredded potato into the skillet and spread it out evenly.
9. Reduce the heat to medium-low and, using the back of a metal spatula, press the shredded potato against the bottom of the skillet.
10. While occasionally pressing them down, allow the caked potato shreds to cook undisturbed until they have turned brown on the bottom side.
11. Using the metal spatula very carefully, turn the caked potato shreds over.
12. Sprinkle with Daiya cheese, turn the heat down to low, cover the skillet and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.
13. Lift one corner to ensure that the caked potato shreds have browned on the bottom side.
14. To soak up access oil, slide the caked hash brown potatoes onto a double layer of paper towels.
15. While still hot, slice into wedges and serve with ketchup, hot sauce and/or mustard.