This is a fantastic bread pudding recipe that hails from the streets of New Orleans. Instead of using whiskey, feel free to use vanilla.
Makes: 24 servings
Total Prep Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
• 1, 20 ounce loaf of French bread
• 1 quart of whole milk
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups of sweetener
• 2 Tbsp. of pure vanilla
• 3 Tbsp. of margarine, melted
• 1 cup of raisins
• 1 cup of sweetener
• 1 egg, beaten
• ½ cup of margarine, melted
• ¼ cup of whiskey
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Break the loaf of French bread into small pieces. Place into a bowl. Pour the whole milk over the bread. Use your hands and crush until evenly mixed.
3. Add in the 3 beaten eggs, 2 cups of sweetener, pure vanilla, 3 tablespoons of melted margarine and raisins. Stir well until evenly mixed.
4. Transfer into the baking dish.
5. Place into the oven to bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until firm.
6. Prepare the sauce. In a bowl, add in 1 cup of the sweetener and 1 beaten egg. Beat with a mixer until creamy in consistency. Slowly add in the melted margarine and continue to stir until the sweetener dissolves. Add in the whiskey and continue to beat until smooth in consistency.
7. Cut the bread pudding into cubes and place into serving bowls. Pour the sauce over the top.
8. Broil for 3 minutes or until gold. Remove and serve immediately.